Skip to content

Day One In London

December 10, 2012

Well, I’m home from London.

It was such an incredible trip, I can hardly put it into words. But I’m gonna try!

There was no wifi in our hotel so I wasn’t able to post consistently through the trip, so it’s time for some major recaps.


I went home to Palgrave Wednesday night so I could leave for the airport with my mom Thursday morning. We were up at the crack of dawn (4am thanks to the delightful dogs barking at their own shadows) and in the car by 5:15am. We left ourselves tons of time just in case, but we were through security and in the Air Canada lounge by 6:10am and our flight wasn’t til 8:10am… whoops! No biggies, we enjoyed a relaxing breakfast in the lounge and moseyed on over to our flight with time to spare.


Good thing we had breakfast in the lounge, as this delightful box of red sludge was our in-flight meal. Yummmm… Oh well, the so-called pancakes were way less scary than the eggs, that’s for sure. Luckily I brought along some Advent Calendar Chocolates that helped get us through the rest of the flight.



We left Toronto at 8am, but after what seemed like NO time at all it was dark out already!! Crazy how early it gets dark in London.

The flight was great, it was mostly empty so at one point I had three seats to myself and I took a bunch of pillows and blankets and made myself a cozy little napping nook! Now, it wasn’t as cool as the little girl beside me who made a full on fort!! I wish I could have taken a photo, but I didn’t want to freak her (or her giant father) out.


I spy London!

Once we landed, we breezed through customs – why does everyone think we’re joking when we say we went to London specifically to see the Spice Girls Musical..? – and hopped in a cab and went to our hotel. We stayed at Le Meridien Piccadilly which was an old, pretty building with surprisingly modern rooms. The bathroom was bright red, a bit of a shocker after walking through the strange old halls with stairs everywhere – not ideal for dragging luggage around!

After we were somewhat settled and refreshed we decided to wander around and try to find a place to eat. We stumbled upon a fun Italian place called Fratelli La Bufala and had an amazing meal of gnocchi, Margherita pizza, and a dessert called ‘Graffa’:


It was a sugary donut with a Nutella-like hazelnut chocolate sauce and powdered sugar. So good!!

My mom tried to order a cappuccino, but apparently they thought she said ‘double espresso’… Not sure they sound all that similar, but I guess it’s like when I tell people I’m from Palgrave and they think I say ‘Calgary’. Seriously, it happens all the time. I don’t get it.

After dinner we wandered around a little more (i.e. got lost trying to get back to the hotel) and came across this beautiful sight:

Viva Forever

Oh ya!! We were SO looking forward to the show Saturday night! Who doesn’t love the Spice Girls?!

By midnight London time we were surprisingly exhausted and managed to fall asleep pretty easily, considering it was only 7pm back home. We needed to get to bed early to prepare for a fun Friday spent at Harrods…

3 Comments leave one →
  1. Afi permalink
    December 11, 2012 1:15 am

    I enjoyed reading your post! I wish I could go to London someday.

  2. Julie permalink
    December 11, 2012 8:38 am

    I love reading your travel memoirs! Great writing, Cosi! Thank you 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: